Thursday, November 17, 2011

What to [Not] Expect in a Third World Hospital

Today was our last day at the hospital.  I realize I have failed to communicate what I mean when calling this a "hospital".  People come here to be treated, even Kenyans because we are so far east.  However, there are some major differences from the healthcare facilities you're used to.  Before I tell any more stories I think I should paint this picture for you.  


1.  There is no running water.  If someone chooses to wash hands/equipment (and it is a choice), they pour water over their hands from one bucket to another.  They do not always use soap.
2.  There is no electricity.  There IS a generator used in the one Operating Room to power some sort of sterilizing machine that I believe is from the '70s.  Neither the generator or machine always work.
3.  Trash is thrown in an old cardboard box, totally open, if it is thrown away at all.  I know I saw bloody bandages on top of patient files in the children's ward.
4.  By "ward" I mean bitty room with 12 beds shoved right next to each other. 
5.  Food is not provided.  You must bring your own.  Many family members cook/do laundry right in the yard of the hospital.
6.  Linens are not provided.  You have to duck under clotheslines as you walk from ward to ward. 
7.  Clothes are not required.  Toddler's go around with their behinds flappin' in the breeze.  I definitely saw poop on the back of a child's leg today walking around in the children's ward.  I think he was there with a sibling who was admitted.  If you are a nurse and want to bring your toddler to work with you that is fine too.  
8.  You must bring your own toilet paper for the hole you squat over in the outhouse.  Let me tell you, you can't call yourself a World Traveler until you've gone "number two" in this place.  I am now a World Traveler squared.
9.  You wait in line ALL DAY.  You first see someone who gives you a consultation.  Then you wait in line for treatment.  That person may then tell you to wait in line for the doctor.  Hopefully you don't need surgery and you are then just in line for pharmacy.  There is a government pharmacy you go to first.  If they don't have what you need, you wait in line for the private pharmacy.  The line waiting is even MORE complicated than this believeitornot.
10.  The private pharmacy pretty much tells everyone, "out of stock", and turns people away.
11.  The drugs they DO have sit out with the tops off, barely organized.  Some are even in containers for different drugs, but at least they write over the containers in sharpie right?  
12.  Any writing is a miracle and deserves much praise.  If you are able to find a patient's records/treatment sheet, THAT is extraordinary.  If it actually has notes in it- THAT is a supernatural phenomenon.  
13.  If you get upset with a nurse for not writing anything, not giving medication, you are the biggest jerk in Uganda.
14.  She may even put a curse on you.  Some of the nurses are also witch doctors.
15.  There are zero consequences for any of these actions.      


I'm not always trying to be Negative Nancy, but I know people (Mom, Grandma) who were probably picturing something else when I said I was working in a hospital.  This hospital has actually improved a great deal from what I understand.  Hopefully more will come from my being here and witnessing these things.  (Of course not everything I mentioned needs to change necessarily.  It's a different place with different customs.)  A lot of good came from the amazing nurses/doctor who accompanied us.  I'll share more soon.  Thanks for praying :)
Bugobero Hospital

Lines. Hopefully we can figure out how to get these shorter.
Part of pharmacy...definitely needs organization.

Katie getting the J-O-B DONE!

No shoes, no britches, no problem.




No comments:

Post a Comment